Friday 2 March 2012

tayrona

As I bargain my way past the closed gates of Tayrona, I really have no idea what I am in for. I opt to walk the five km instead of the bus because I was pissed at the system and being schlepped around bus after bus after bus. So here I am walking with sun an hour from setting and I’m in my glory- I haven’t even entered the park and id seen a monkey. Thought after ten minutes into the walk I saw another bus and talk the guy down 1000 pesos and jump on. Arriving at the camp, I’m directed to the path leading to the beach. Thinking that the beach was just beyond my sight- I end up on an hour journey through army ants persistently at work, a deafening flutter of wild birds, a rat the size of a baby pig and upon finally reaching the beach, running to catch the sunset the beach is flagged for being too dangerous- taking the life of a careless photographer. His body was left floating on shore for the next four days. I strike up a deal for a tent to avoid mosquitoes and hop in the shower to cool myself off. Then I sat and wrote. 

No comments:

Post a Comment