Tuesday 6 March 2012

washing up on shore

I’m staring out at a million shattered and abandoned homes washed up along the beach- and I begin to understand the power struggle amongst species. Within a few hundred meters I witness a total dichotomy of life and existence- the following is my encounter.

Whether you know it or not- each night the ocean recedes hundreds of metres from the beach and each night millions of homes are left seized or under foreclosure. Millions of tiny creatures fight against forces and currents only to be thrown or sent hurling into desertion.  These forces mask that of society- in a sense that the strong survive to a fight a new day, but even then are we not guaranteed that we won’t wash up on shore- figuratively and literally speaking.

I rise from my tent and drag myself down to the beach (I am on vacation don’t forget). I begin my barefoot walk on top of the infinite eddies created by tides- the view strikingly similar to the long rivets created by the desert breeze amongst the dunes, and think about how contrasting these two element really are. As I watch my feet sink ever so slightly before taking my next step- I stop in my track when I spot a dispute. 

I bend at my knees to get a closer look and can’t believe my eyes, but I am witnessing a robbery. A feisty shelled crab no longer than my fingernail is forcing itself into the home of a hermit crab- being that of a much more attractive home, resembling the much needed status one needs when you are one of a trillion. Amongst the fight are three other shelled crabs scrimmaging for what I assume to be the instigators disserted home. 

I rise when my legs get tired of crouching and carry on further till I hit water. I inch myself up to my knees when I spot a fish flying out of the water. Splash!! Then again… and again… and it looks as thought they are playing even though I know they are catching an early breakfast of tasty flies- but the breakfast seems more like a buffet as more fish come shooting out of the water and landing on their bellies making a plop.

Now maybe I wouldn’t have thought anything of this, but I had just witnessed millions of homes destroyed and a robbery in progress- but it made me think how unfair life is to some. While people are out snatching at a sea of flies, others have to fight to hold on to what they have or start from scratch.

I made my way back to the dispute and shook the shelled crab off of the other and placed it a few meters away– and watched it scurry off dragging its beautiful shell behind him. I normally would have let nature take its course- but I felt that everyone deserves a break once in a while.

6/7/09

No comments:

Post a Comment