Tuesday 6 March 2012

sitting at the ship

Sitting outside the ship on Augusta with Kemeny, a lady at an adjacent table invites herself to watch or game of rummy in action- I being new to this bar, going out in Canada and also just being the nice naïve Jew that I am empty our third chair of my bags and pull it out for her to join- in doing so I unknowingly unleashed a cluster bomb of annoyance- this woman; 35 year old Vanessa with a v bled her life story on us while managing to drown us with her interest in riding my bike- I the betting man agreed to at the price of Jeremy beating me at a game of good ol rummy 500- a game I got in the bag. Now I’m a tad crazy myself, in a good way I’d like to think, and can definitely appreciate wacky, quirkiness- but I draw a fine line when a random individuals traits BOLTS herself past the above and into a league of intolerable blabber- much like Vanessa with a V was doing- yelling over our table to an attractive blonde “how old are you may I ask? I don’t want to be rude”- 29 the girl replies… “Oh my god shut up… you look amazing I would have thought 21 or 22… really you’re gorgeous… 29 I don’t believe it- you’ve aged beautifully” yadda…yadda...yadda… “You’re like a bottle of wine aging with beauty- guys isn’t she so beautiful” This is cool and all- a compliment is always a nice gesture, but when it goes on and on it becomes an annoyance and people just want to get back to their prior engagement- so that passes after a round of rolled eyes, raised eyebrows and tight lips before she’s onto music- asking me to pt a set in my ears to hear a song- top 40 no necessarily my go to but I listen and feign interest to Eminem and Rihana’s track “have you heard it before?” she blabbers “yep” I say focused on cards. “Do you like it?” Yeah it’s alright I say. “Its Eminem do you know him?” yeah I know who he is. He’s Albright I just don’t listen too much of him”.
“You don’t like Eminem??”
“Why don’t you take a look through my iPod” she says “but you’re probably not going to know any of the artists, I listen to obscure music”.
“I’ll give you 10$ if you can guess the next song” she says.
I can’t and don’t even guess because I haven’t a clue.
“It’s John Mayer. Do you know who he is?”
“Yep I’ve heard of him I say”
“Do you want to show me all you’re music?”She says.
“No, not really… I have a lot of music and I am kind of trying to focus on the game- feel free to look through it though”.
“Ooohhh” she retorts snidely followed by silence.

We continue playing our game taking it seriously like we always do- not to ignore her, just that she had finally taken a break and it was refreshing to have a little peace- though you could tell she retracted and took my response to heart- so I tried making peace “it’s cool that you’re here, we can talk it’s just that I don’t really want to walk through 1000+ songs at the moment when I’m in the middle of a game”
“No, ill just keep to myself”
“Well, that’s not what I said- I think you’re taking this the wrong way”.

Then the 4th gentleman at our table whom she called over also introducing herself as Vanessa with a V- I chose a song on my iPod with a letter V, so she’s playing that song right now- so sit- he does and nearing the end of the night he point to my necklace and asks about its origin.
“It’s a Buddha. My GF in Korea was Buddhist”.
“You have a GF? She speaks with attitude.
“No I use too, but that was when I was in Korea”.
“Well, I shouldn’t talk to you then- you have a GF… and I even thought you were cute- ill just stop talking to you”.

This being the best offer id received all night- I had no option but to take it wishing them a good night- Jer ad I paid the tab on my tea and honey and we parted.
“Why the hell did you engage that?” Jer says.
“Dude I don’t know” is the best response I can give- which got me thinking of how many people are actually normal. I could wrap my brain around it for years without a clue- so ill take the safe route and continue to invite everyone to the table without bias and fill my books with crazy encounters like that of Vanessa with a V.

No comments:

Post a Comment