Tuesday 6 March 2012

never settle

“Works overrated!” Art raged slamming his fist on the greasy pizza box.
“There’s nothing that drives me anymore. I don’t want to work- because there’s really nothing that interests me. I just want to see the world- experience new cultures, wake in foreign lands to new adventures and just constantly meet new people. I can’t see myself in an office or school or factory- Ahhhh… disgusting, what a waste of a life; working to support a working life. It makes me sick. Well, I mean it just isn’t me. It might fit like a custom suit for others, but to me, it’s like shopping in the used bin in Asia where everything’s nay sizes too small.”
“Play!  You basically want to play your whole life is what it sounds like. So how do you expect to get by?” pried Sean.
“Well that’s not the entire case- I don’t mind doing some things. It’s just that I don’t want to do the same thing over and over- day in day out! It’s a commitment issue of mine. We only have one life you know? Why not spend it alive. Without desire for materials, marriage or money- I am free to live my life anyway I see fit.”
“So you’re going to drop off the face of the earth- say farewell to your family and friends?”
“It’s not that I want to- I do, but I feel I have to. It’s the only thing that will keep me happy and sane; though family has always been the underlying hitch in my plan to break free. Friends are great, but friends understand. And it’s not like I can put my life on hold because I have a few friends I won’t see.  I’m not trying to be a dick, but why is it that every person that’s holding down a job is jealous over friends that took route b.  I am one that lives life without the fear of what tomorrows is going to take me.  You never hear the vice versa- Oh, I’m so jealous of your 9-5 and you and your wife’s conflicting schedules… and a baby on the way… how tremendously… stressful.”
The life of a traveller is not for everyone- Hell, a lot of travellers aren’t even cut out for it, but at least they are giving their dreams a shot and that’s something of a beauty. If you want to get married and have kids- super, go and squeeze out eight- it’s cool with me, just don’t have the same tedious recycled conversation with me like it’s the first time I’ve heard it “ Why don’t you settle down?” they say. And you know how it goes…. get a job, find a girl, and a little security. But I never let them get this far “Settle down? Settle down?? Are you fucking kidding me? I’ve got one life I’m going to rage to the grave. Settle down? I don’t know where, when, or how these words become part of someone’s vocabulary. Maybe its being subliminally fed to you in between the sitcoms you watch to get away from reality. It’s a funny thought thinking about all the people that tune in to watch reality TV- their reality is… well, you get the jist. But really- settling? When do we ever use these words?
Mary, you haven’t had a boyfriend in a while- why don’t you settle for Jacob the office lurk; you know the one with the creepy moustache who sweats when he talks and boy does he love to talk! No one says that, or better yet “Hey, this house is falling apart, but at least it’s in your price range. I really don’t think you can do any better- you might as well settle.”
Settle is a term coined by the meek to interject a sense of self worth rather than saying “we give up.”
“Ok... Ok… WOW! I get it- it’s your life do what you will. All I want to know is how are you going to afford a lifetime of travels without a job or initiative?
“Well my child, I’ve been doing some brainstorming and I think I just might have a few ideas to get my foot out the door- sort of speak.”
“This sounds like another one of your schemes.”
“Get busy scheming or get busy dying they say!”
“I think its get busy living- not scheming!”
“Same- Same my friend; so are you down or what?”
And this is the story of how my run-in with my old high school friend changed my life into a lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment