Tuesday 6 March 2012

the doctor who cared

Sure I’ve lied to people- though they have been mostly tedious cover-up’s to avoid detail or confrontation. I also know I’ve been lied to; whether a taxi has deliberately driven me home the long way or a corner store clerk makes up a price to an unmarked item- some people just lie.  Though what sets a raging current of hate and forces tension in my fists and jaw are businesses that make a killing out of lies- leading my topic of discussion to the pocket-raping dictatorship of doctor-ship.

I just got off the phone with my ailing father who has been fighting a series of cramps, bloating and constipation for over four months and has been seeing his doctor as regularly as he can or at least as much as he is able to- being doctors inherited gruelling schedules. Each time my father visits, let’s call him Dr. Rich, he is treated in the same response; take yadda yadda these pills and yadda yadda that; sign here; make another appointment with my clerk; thank you for your money.

Now this has been going on for over 4 months, and I could understand and appointment or two to perform testing and a period for receiving information- but four months; who knows if the pills aren’t just placebos- its something that we don’t question because we trust our doctors. But aren’t doctors supposed to look out for the interests of their patients? Then how come everything is treated with a pill? You rarely hear doctors say “if you just mix a little cayenne with some burdock root the swelling should go down”. No you never hear this. Now I am not trying to be cynical or pessimistic (even though it may damn well be) because I know there are millions of good doctors- but these aren’t the ones praised on tv or news or flock past the tongues of the healed.  It is not necessarily the earnest of these doctors as it is the form of treatment they prescribe.

What ever happened to the natural doctors; call them what you will, witch doctors or medicine men that can cure you with nature’s essence?  Now everything is concocted in a laboratory and bears no face- except the welcoming one from your doctor who is taking the wrath from my pen and mind.  If it weren’t for these prescriptions doctors handed out like candy- these doctors wouldn’t be bringing in a fifth of their salary.  But when do you sacrifice the well-being and health of patients for a couple extra zeros on your pay check.

My father who saw his doctor over a handful of times in the four months was given prescription after prescription of ill attempts until they scheduled him for surgery.  His surgery booked for September 09, being another 3 months away was too long to wait for someone suffering as long as he has; what is he to do beside call, badger, harass, beg and plead only to get bumped ahead- aside from that these doctors schedules are carved out of the same stone as the 10 commandments.

While waiting, a friend of my pops with an understanding of my dad’s ailments, mixed him a blend of crushed flaxseed and……………….  And after 2 weeks his pains, cramps and bloating have all receded and he’s also able to go to the toilet regularly.

Now I’d like to know the doctors honest response. Honest being the key word- because how many doctors would agree to fucking up prescribing an unknown pill; admit they were just trying to meet a quota; or just went on a whim.

My father is now back to health thanks to a caring intelligible woman who took a minute to analyze his ailments and perform an ounce of research- all the ingredients found in bulk at a local health store and free from doctors fees and surgical tubes in his ass.   
6/19-20/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment