Thursday 1 March 2012

planting a thought

My trembling twigs leaf through the foliage-
            Looming wild eyes
            Perched madly amongst my stems
            Yet remain out of focus
Thudding rings faster than a gambler at a racetrack
            This isn’t a game
            No ones got a five on me
Instead of worrying of the blade
            I've got a heavier dose of medicine
            Ceasing to live up to my expectations
            Lugging the ageless weight on my branches
Each cycle passes
            Crescents, halves, slivers and madness
            Groundhogs, harvests, bitter chills and fruition
I’m left stinging
            Like the underbelly of a child
Who foreignly landed their first belly flop
My trunk left barren
As the Gobi dessert
Constantly at war with the fierce unpredictable, thunderous gusts
The pain inching its way down my roots
            Like a bristly caterpillar
            Thick as an ostrich egg
I try to calm my nerves
            Tell myself that “time is on my side”
            And all those delicious clichés
            That keep my mind from “getting the best of me”
But it is no use
            I feel as hollow as a life preserver after my victims last breathe
            My legs lay motionless
            Once giant pillars stabilizing my structure
            Now lay crumbled after destructive blows to my foundation
My life line
            Hacked at the limbs
            Uprooted
            Leaving nothing but the test of time to repeat its course on my decomposing body
Unknownst to the seedlings I have spread through the forest. 

December 2008, Korea

No comments:

Post a Comment