Thursday 1 March 2012

in search of silence- dokjokdo

I couldn’t be further removed from the world- sitting atop a shoreline of rocks drinking in the hidden pond and swaying mountain tops. I came to Dokjokdo- a speck island not labelled on western maps, floating off the coast of Incheon South Korea. A secluded plot of land shut off from the world, bearing no attractiveness except the plight of other like minds.

The sounds of magpies cawing in pursuit of play, the light swish of water-spiders gliding about, the conversation of leaves making acquaintance, airborne fish splashing after eyeing insects, a slizzering snake head up jutting through the pond, the eeks and quarawks and infinite other unpronounceable unprintable bird calls, amongst all other sounds that we equate with silence- make up my surrounding.

As I lean back against my bag and close my eyes- I dream this is a place where magic happens, mysteries revealed- a place where a voice talks to you. And then it did.

It was the voice of an engine miles above head, above the clouds and out of sight. An airplane roared.  And then another… and another. And then the voice appeared- it was not of God but of my own.  And I wonder how often the two are confused- but this is unimportant at this moment. The voice spoke to me and said “No matter what lengths you go through to remove yourself from society. No matter what lengths you go through to be alone, hide and close doors. No matter what lengths you go through to find inner peace- you are as much apart of this world as the trees and grass as you are the cars and planes. You cannot run. You must learn to live together”.

And live I will.

6/7/09

No comments:

Post a Comment