Saturday 3 March 2012

free healthcare?

I sit bound to wheelchair for the first time in my 26 years. My knee locked in confines and a foreign key in hand. Eyes surveying injuries with locomotive thoughts “I wonder what happened to him?”
I view the shoes on nurses and medics scurrying to and fro- they look comfy… more comfy than mine. Who needs shoes anyways when you’re confined to a wheel chair?
On my way to the hospital while I was packing my bag with full understanding I would be in for a long day, I packed two books JK’s Big Sur, and Krakauer’s Into Thin Air. My notebook and pen, not just any pen- the only pen I like writing with- the Uniball and I even questioned grabbing a second incase this one ran out of ink. But, alas, I didn’t because I couldn’t bear the pain of hobbling the few feet to the cup of pens on my dresser. I also chose to use the washroom in the minutes before leaving not to be stuck relieving myself on a toilet that has sat god knows how many asses.
I really wish I grabbed another pen. It’s odd how you never know where your life will lead you- just yesterday I was set on jumping bike and heading to Tobermory on a whim. The haste weather changed my departure, or idea of departure to next week and that action spawned me to call Cyndi since I was staying at home, which led to roller-skating, thus being stuck to a wheelchair now in Mac hospital with a  dying pen and my blasted knee.
Free healthcare
You delicious oxymoron
Free you are not
I pay by being walked passed hour on end
I pay by being labeled as a number
I pay by being overlooked
I pay by being crammed in room after room
I pay by endless waiting and waiting
I pay by time away from work and family
I pay by sitting in pain while I get bumped down the list
I pay because you don’t hire more doctors and nurses
I pay because the government doesn’t fund new hospitals
I pay
Free healthcare
Free you are not

No comments:

Post a Comment