Wednesday 7 March 2012

the brain

“can I come in- all the shelters are closed tonight” he repeats before anyone notices- a grey v-neck rests upon his broad chest, but his voice is nasally, crisp and simple.
Walking in he asks to rest for a few to keep out of the cold- Heather tells him to grab a seat.
The boy stumbles around- big head with eyes new to the word, then pulls out a set of large headphones- holding them he speaks-
“Can I tell you something?”
“OK.”
“My girlfriend died last night.”
“Awwww!” with silence the few eyes in the bar lit with white.
A pause and with timing he lays out “I’m not having a good day.”
We all look around. Saddened if true, but we all have our doubts. He asks for water and leafs through business cards and flyers lying on the counter.
Picking up a golden Asian trinket cat with paw raised and red bow tie- he shook it to realize a coin had been dispensed. Intrigued he rotates and flips the toy in his simple hands- working his hands amongst everything that rested a top the counter.
“I didn’t think this was real. But, it is. Its made of wax- Did you make that? That’s cool!” placing the empty water now back on the counter.
“All the shelters are closed. I tried calling with my phone but it doesn’t work. Can I use your phone?” I was just in the mission and they threw new sheets on top of old sheets and said night, night- So I said bye-bye. Can you believe how rude?”
Still resting, his voice periodically hung in the air with the music-
“Is my sister there?” he asks over the bar phone- Which we can all here over the silence.
He leaves much like he arrives- with his crisp simple voice only slightly catching our attention.
I had a fight with my sister he says while leaving. He thanks Heather and she acknowledges and closes the bar being him wishing him well. My heart wishes him warmth and sunny days to this troubled mans journey.
oct 2 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment